Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Fathers Day!

I John 2:13a, "I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning..."
I've never considered myself to be a very sentimental kind of person. However, the older I get (which right now is not very old - 31) the more I find myself reflecting back upon my life. I grew up in a Christian home. It was not a strong Christian home, none the less it was a Christian home. From that home, my parents raised two children, and although my sister and I have both had our fair share of sinful blunders and mis-steps with the Lord, today we are both faithful servants of the Lord. We are both striving to create a stronger Christian home than we had as we were growing up.

There are three men in my life that I feel I owe a since of thanks to on this fathers day. These are the men that have had the most life changing influence upon me, assisting me in becoming the man I am today.

1. My Father, Larry A. Smith. My dad taught me many things in this life. A good work ethic. Respect for my elders. Respect for my country, my flag, and what they both stand for. Even when he was making life changing mistakes, he was teaching me. He may not have know it, but he was teaching, he made the mistakes so that I would have to. This is the 11th Fathers Day now since my dad went home to be with the Lord. Thanks Dad, for all you taught me, even when you didn't think you were.

2. My Spiritual Father, Pastor Merv McNair. No one in my life has taught me more about living the practical, daily Christian life. Through his preaching and his personal interest in my life, Pastor McNair has influenced me for the cause of Christ. I went soulwinning for the first time at 14 years old, because he asked me to go. I preached my first message at age 15, because he asked if I wanted to. Pastor McNair is one of the few people that when he tells me that he prayed for me I know he did. I used to go to the church early for youth night, and listen to him pray for me, along with countless other teens in our teen department. I know I would not be where I am at today had God not brought Pastor McNair into my life.

3. My Father-In-Law, Sam Gerhardt, AKA Papa. I am so thankful to have married into such a wonderful Christian family. I feel bad that everyone does not have in-laws like I do. Over the last 9 1/2 years Papa has taught me & Rachel many parenting skills that we so desperately needed and still need. I am so thankful to have a father-in-law that strives to live the best Christian he can be. Thank you Papa for allowing me to marry your daughter, and raise your grandchildren.

1 comment: