Monday, June 22, 2009

"Forgetting those things which are beind" Devotion for Monday, June 22nd, 2009

Philippians 3:13-14 "Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus."

Someone once said, "Success is finding, following & finishing God's will for your life." I like that! We often get caught up in trying to become successful. We try everything. Sometimes we succeed and more times than not we fail. My greatest fear in life is not to fail, but that I will not finish the task that God has given me, and succeed at things that don't matter.

In Philippians 3:13, the Bible tells us to forget those things that are behind us. You know, many people are defeated today just because of their past. Wrong decisions can and will devastate you every time. They often come very quickly destroying everything in their path, leaving you with months of repairs and work to do. We need to take heed to this advice from scripture and not let our failures of yesterday affect the victories of today.

Now at the same time we allow our past failures to hinder us today, we also try to allow our past victories to carry us through today. I am finding it more important to forget my past victories more than my past failures. You see we cant rely on our past. Good or bad. What matters is what are we doing today. Just because I did something great yesterday, or something horrible doesn't mean that I have to either glory in it or relish in it.

Now I do think it is important that we learn from the past. If you did something great, try and do it again today, and if you did something wrong, try to not do it again today.

While you are forgetting those things which are behind, make sure you press on for the Prize that can only be found in Jesus today! Don't get stuck in the past, no matter how bad or good it was. The question must be answered - "What am I going to do for the Lord today?"

No comments:

Post a Comment