Monday, June 10, 2013

Where do you hide?

Psalm 91:1-2 "He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust."

When I was a child, I liked to play hide and seek.  It was a lot of fun, and it didn't matter if it was outside or inside.  Some of the best times we had playing hide and seek was right before it was about to be dark.  You know what I'm talking about, when it's just light enough to still see things, yet dark enough to not see them clearly.  The best spot to hide in, was the spot that no one else knew about, and the moment someone would find that spot you just knew it was over because everyone was going to hide there now, and you'd have to find another place to hide. 

The Bible tells us that Satan is like a "roaring lion", "seeking whom he may devour."  The Christian life is unlike the game of hide and seek because it is not a game at all.  However, there are some principles that we may apply from our childhood and from our scripture today.  As Satan is seeking out our lives to devour what he will, the Bible assures us that we have a hiding place and it is a secret place.  I find great comfort as the psalmist said, "the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress."  We have a hiding place that the devil can find nor penetrate.  We have a fortress that he cannot get past the security.  We have a God who cares and protects us. 

I want you to take special note of two phrases that are key in these two verses.  In verse one, "He that dwelleth." That is the first key.  The secret place of God is a place that we are to dwell in.  That means to stay there and not leave.  The second phrase comes at the end of verse 2, "in Him will I trust" When we trust Him, we will stay with Him.  There are times in our lives as Christians that the devil may get ahold of us.  It is at those times that we were not dwelling in the secret place.  Most of the time when we don't dwell there it comes down to trust.  We trust ourselves more than we trust God. 

Proverbs 3 says, "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not unto thine own understanding." We don't have to play hide and seek with devil.  We need to put our full trust in God and God alone and dwell in the secret place with Him and let the devil go seek someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment