Monday, August 10, 2009

"When I grow up"


I Corinthians 13:11 "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

"What do you want to be when you grow up?" I think this question has been asked of every child on the planet. I don't know how many times I was asked that question as a child and young teenager. The number would have to be in the hundreds at least. I have found myself asking children the same question.

There is only one problem with that question. It leaves God out of the equation. As Christians, we ought to raise our children to be more concerned with what God wants for there lives than what they want. We ought to be teaching them about God's will first. I think the tendency is to ask a young child this question when they reach the ages of 5-8. We think there responses are cute, and most of the time they are. Over the next several years of the child's till they are teenagers. We fill their minds with, "what do you WANT". By the time a teenager is face with what does God want in your life, they have been fed with "what do you WANT" for so long, they end up missing God's perfect will for their lives.

It is important for us as adults to teach the importance of God's will in children's lives. Next time you find yourself starting to ask a child the question, "what do you want to be when you grow up", ask this one instead: "I wonder what God is going to do with your life?" Or "Do you know what God has in store for you to when you grow up?"

No comments:

Post a Comment