Monday, August 17, 2009

"What's your schedule look like?"

I remember when I first got married, I heard a preacher say something like this, "You young preachers need to learn to live your life by a schedule. If you don't schedule your time so you don't waste it. . . Schedule time with your family and your wife." I thought that sounded great. I bought myself a day-timer calendar book and started scheduling everything. I think I may have even written down shower times. One time I wrote down, "Spend time with Rachel." I thought I was doing a great thing, scheduling time with my wife. Boy was I wrong! When she saw that in my day-timer that I had scheduled time to be her, she told me that I she was my wife not an appointment. And she didn't like being scheduled into a day-timer. She wanted to know that I wanted to spend time with her because I wanted to, not just because It was a scheduled thing that I had to do.

Our relationship with God shouldn't be any different. I am all for scheduling time for prayer and Bible reading. If the only reason we are doing it is because we have scheduled it, we are not going to get the most out of our relationship with God.

Being a Christians needs to be more than just what we do, it needs to become who we are.

Spend time with God today, not because you have to, but because you want too.

No comments:

Post a Comment