Tuesday, August 25, 2009

"Can you fix it?"


Psalm 108:1 "O God, my heart is fixed, I will sing and give praise, even with my glory."

Two weeks ago I had new brakes put on our families minivan. Brakes all the way around. New brake pads, new rotors, new front calipers the whole kit-n-caboodle. Yesterday while driving the van, I started to hear a grinding noise each time I came to a stop. The longer I drove the worse the sound got. Finally, after coming to resting place, I got out and did some investigating. Boy was I surprised to find my rear caliper hanging off the rotor rubbing the inside of the wheel. I immediately took the van back to where I had the breaks put on only to find out that a bolt had broken (which they said they rarely see happen) on the caliper.

I use this event to illustrate my point this morning. The caliper at one time was fixed in place. It wasn't supposed to move. It wasn't supposed rub around inside the wheel. It was supposed to be fixed in place.

The Psalmist said that his heart was fixed. His heart was firm, happy, resolved, established - fixed. His heart was in its right place. In Psalm 57:7 the Bible says, "My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed." In the 108th Psalm we see the very same words being written again. I know David didn't write this, but he could have written, "My heart is still fixed." It was fixed back here and praise God it is still fixed today.

Is your heart fixed, or is your heart like a yo-yo? One moment your up, and the next your down. Isiah said, "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is STAYED on thee, because he trusteth in thee." We must keep our hearts and minds fixed and stayed, completely focused on God, and God alone.

May I encourage you today to bolt down your heart close to the Word of God. Tighten it down tight so that it is fixed in its place and cannot be moved.

No comments:

Post a Comment