Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Don't Stop, Keep Going...

Mark 1:16-22 "Now as he walked by the sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and Andrew his brother casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers. And Jesus said unto them, Come ye after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men. And straightway they forsook their nets, and followed him.  And when he had gone a little further thence, he saw James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, who also were in the ship mending their nets.  And straightway he called them: and they left their father Zebedee in the ship with the hired servants, and went after him. And they went into Capernaum; and straightway on the Sabbath day he entered into the synagogue, and taught. And they were astonished at his doctrine: for he taught them as one that had authority, and not as the scribes."

Here in our passage today we get a glimpse of the beginning of Jesus' earthly ministry and the calling of the disciples.  The first ones we see Him calling are the brothers Andrew & Peter, and more brothers James & John.  All four of them did the exact same thing, when Jesus said to come and follow they left everything and went on to follow.   As they followed, they heard Him teach. When He taught they were amazed at what He had to say, and the authority He displayed as He said it.

What caught my attention the most today was the phrase, "And when he had gone a little further."  What an awesome and convicting thought.  What if Jesus hadn't gone further that day?  We very possibly would not have 5 books of the New Testament.  Or they would at least be titled differently than after John.  What if Jesus hadn't gone further that day?  Would the New Testament even read the same way with out James, John, Peter being a part of the inner circle of Jesus.  It is exciting to me that Jesus went a little further.  I am grateful that He always goes a little further for His children.

While I am thrilled that Jesus goes a little further in my life, it convicts me to think that when the Holy Spirit prompts me to go a little further, I often stop a little short.  As I type these thoughts this morning, I am overwhelmed with thoughts of people that I should have, and could have reached with the gospel, but didn't because I stopped too short.  I wonder how things would be different in my life had the people who have gone out of their way to help me, if they had stopped too short.

We need to be the type of Christians that would be willing to go a little further.  You may be reading this today, and you've been thinking about stopping.  May I plead with you for a moment - don't stop, just go a little further.  You never know who you may come across if you just keep going.  You may never know whose life you will impact by not stopping.  Just go a little further, seek to be a blessing. Step out of your comfort zone today, and go a little further for Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment