Monday, November 16, 2009

"When God Speaks - Do you listen?"

John 15

Have you ever tried to go an entire day without speaking? I find it near impossible. I like talking so much, I even talk to myself from time to time and have even had disagreements! Speaking is one of the most vital aspects in our lives. Communication is highly important. It's how we express everything. Now while there is verbal communication, there is also non-verbal communication. You know exactly what I'm talking about. When your spouse is across a crowded room and your about to say something very stupid (men, we probably already did) then you get the look. Yes, everyone knows "the look." That is the non-verbal communication.

Have you ever been ignored, or maybe been the one doing the ignoring? Of course you have! We all know what being ignored feels like, yet even so, we still do it to others.

The question today is simply this: When God speaks - do you listen? Does God have your undivided attention? In John 15, Jesus said, "My sheep hear my voice". Have you placed your life in a position to hear God's voice? You must be near by in order to hear him. I have found in my life that God often speaks to me in 3 different ways.
  1. Sometimes He speaks directly - that still small voice. That voice that if I'm not close enough I miss what He's saying.
  2. Sometimes He sends a messenger - the preacher. I can't even begin to count the times that God has spoken to me through the preaching of His Word.
  3. Sometimes He sends a Text message - the Bible. Again, to count the times God has given me something just from reading His Word would be a lame attempt.

Notice the similarities between these three ways. We must be in the right position. If we are not walking daily with Him we may miss that still small voice. If we skip church for a ballgame or a family reunion we may miss what God wanted to say to us. If we neglect our Bibles, how can we expect God to speak to us. Stop ignoring what He is trying to say to you. Listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment